Betting the pharma - Astellas GC Jerry Temko on the 'perfect storm' in the pharmaceuticals industry
Most in-house counsel have spent the recession attempting to maintain standards in the face of reduced resources. But Jerry Temko, general counsel and chief compliance officer of the European arm of Japanese pharmaceutical giant Astellas, has been very much in proactive mode. The credit crunch and subsequent economic crisis didn't change Temko's robust pursuit of breaches of patents and licensing contracts - in fact, if anything, it has strengthened resolve to police the company's intellectual property (IP). The strategy has paid off: during the last five years Astellas has recovered over ‚Ç¨10m (£8.2m) in patent damages from generic pharma companies and in excess of ‚Ç¨6m (£4.9m) from change of control licensing events. "Generating these recoveries changes the role and perception of the legal team; it means we're not simply a cost centre," says Temko.
The pharmaceuticals industry is facing a ‘perfect storm’, but Astellas general counsel Jerry Temko tells Alex Aldridge he is ready to weather it
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651