A slicky situation - BP's lawyers respond to Gulf of Mexico oil spill
The massive leak at an oil well in the Gulf of Mexico hasn't just been a challenge for the engineers at BP. The in-house lawyers at the company have also been called upon to respond to the disaster. One lawyer who is playing a key role is John Lynch, the company's US general counsel. Lynch, who works out of BP's Houston office, has been talking with attorney generals (AGs) from the Gulf Coast states as they have pressed the company about its legal and financial responsibilities. The conversations began on 5 May, when top lawyers at the companies involved in the disaster received a terse message from the AGs: put it in writing. In letters to BP, Halliburton Energy Services, Transocean and Cameron International, the AGs said they wanted written statements that the companies will pay for their states' clean-up costs, which could eventually reach almost $1bn (£659m). The letters were signed by James Caldwell of Louisiana, Jim Hood of Mississippi, Troy King of Alabama, Bill McCollum of Florida and Greg Abbott of Texas.
BP’s in-house lawyers are doing their part to respond to the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. Amy Miller reports
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651