A good war for Freshfields and A&O – the big four in the recession
With Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer's financial results today confirmed, some judgments can be made about how the UK's big four law firms have fared over the recession and the subsequent slump in commercial activity - a period roughly spanning 2008-09 and 2009-10. Unsurprisingly, the worst recession for at least 25 years had taken a considerable toll. In 2008, the group collectively billed £4.816bn, a figure that has now fallen to £4.567bn, meaning £249m has disappeared from the top line, including £132m at Clifford Chance (CC). All four firms have been through major partnership restructurings in the last four years and CC, Linkaters and Allen & Overy (A&O) in addition last year pushed through large-scale redundancies for junior lawyers and support staff.
With Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer’s financial results today confirmed, some judgments can be made about how the UK’s big four law firms have fared over the recession and the subsequent slump in commercial activity – a period roughly spanning 2008-09 and 2009-10. Unsurprisingly, the worst recession for at least 25 years had taken a considerable toll.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651