Power of yes!
"It is my strong belief that you cannot be a lawyer and a manager at the same time," says Pierre Landy, general counsel of Yahoo!'s Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) operations. "No matter the size or importance of the matter I let my direct reports handle it, obviously discussing with them where and when needed, but generally remaining at a helicopter view." So the legal aspects of the deal Yahoo! struck with the Premier League in April to show highlights of matches was handled by the company's UK general counsel, Simon Citron. And the internet giant's recent acquisition of Middle Eastern rival Maktoob was overseen by Dubai-based Middle East general counsel Nassib Abou-Khalil.
Yahoo! EMEA GC Pierre Landy talks to Alex Aldridge about his management philosophy, the challenge of expansion into new countries and how dressing up as Santa got him on the road to the top
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651