Career Clinic: Do firms only want foreign recruits for their business contacts?
"I am a Chinese final year law student due to graduate this summer from a Russell Group university. Like many, I have been struggling to line up a training contract. Knowing that I am not Oxbridge or 1st class material, I specifically targeted smaller full-service firms. However, having been to several TC interviews, it is becoming clear that there is one question that law firms keep asking: 'As a Chinese immigrant in the UK, will you be able to bring in new clients from your local Chinese community?'
“I am a Chinese final year law student due to graduate this summer from a Russell Group university. Like many, I have been struggling to line up a training contract. Knowing that I am not Oxbridge or 1st class material, I have specifically targeted smaller full-service firms.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651