Career Clinic: I feel like I'm being held back from the role I want
"I'm part of a tight-knit legal team at a decent-sized UK company. I reckon I've got a good relationship with my boss - and he is saying all the right things about my career progression within the team. However, what I really want to do is take on a front-line commercial role. He is supportive whenever I mention this ambition and says he will keep an eye out for suitable roles. However, I fear that I am too valuable in my current role and suspect he may just be paying lip service to the idea of me making a move.
“I’m part of a tight-knit legal team at a decent-sized UK company. I reckon I’ve got a good relationship with my boss – and he is saying all the right things about my career progression within the team.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651