Career Clinic: What's more important – getting on with your colleagues or enjoying your work?
"I am currently nearing the end of my TC at a mid-sized City law firm and am considering my options on qualification. I have narrowed down my choices to two departments, but I'm torn between a team I got on really well with and an area of work I found much more interesting. I liked asset finance because I got on well with a young and dynamic team who were happy to take the time out to train me up and help me along, but the hours are long and the work is repetitive. On the other hand, litigation offers a good work/life balance and the work is intellectually stimulating, but the department is top-heavy, there's a lack of structured training and I didn't get on at all well with the team. Which should I choose? Any advice would be appreciated..."
“I am currently nearing the end of my TC at a mid-sized City law firm and am considering my options on qualification. I have narrowed down my choices to two departments, but I’m torn between a team I got on really well with and an area of work I found much more interesting.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651