Career Clinic: Should I ditch my magic circle TC and do the NY Bar?
"I recently secured a two-year training contract with a magic circle firm. Last year I completed the LPC, and I am currently taking a year out before starting my TC in September 2010. "However, I am starting to wonder whether I might not have been better taking the New York Bar (which you can do if you have a Law LLB) and then applying to a US law firm to become an associate. The pay would be three times the amount I would get in London, the New York Bar takes 3-4 months rather than the year-long LPC, I would get to live in New York, and I would not have to spend two years doing a training contract before becoming an associate.
“I recently secured a two-year training contract with a magic circle firm. Last year I completed the LPC, and I am currently taking a year out before starting my TC in September 2010.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651