Channel 4 to cut legal staff in cost review
Channel 4 is poised to make redundancies in its legal and compliance department.Up to five support staff within the 19-strong division are expected to take voluntary redundancy as part of a review, with personnel changes to be finalised in the coming weeks. It is understood that Channel 4's separate corporate legal arm is unlikely to reduce its headcount.The redundancies are part of wider efforts by Channel 4 to reduce its cost base by £50m, with the company proposing to cut headcount by up to 150 posts to between 800 and 850 staff. The company is offering voluntary redundancies and will consult with staff to minimise compulsory job losses.Commenting on the cuts, a Channel 4 spokesperson told Legal Week: "As a response to an advertising downturn, Channel 4 is reducing its cost base across the organisation. This process has affected all departments. However, there will be no compulsory redundancies in the legal and compliance department."The job losses come after controller of legal and compliance Jan Tomalin recently announced her departure. Tomalin is set to quit Channel 4, after 20 years in-house, to start her own legal consultancy. The broadcaster is searching for Tomalin's replacement.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651