Beresfords faces SRA action over miners' claims
The disciplinary hearing against two partners at Beresford Solicitors relating to their handling of compensation claims from sick coal miners kicked off this week (17 November), with the pair accused of 11 counts of misconduct. Tim Dutton QC of Fountain Court Chambers is representing the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) in the tribunal, which sees the SRA claiming that name partner Jim Beresford - reportedly the UK's highest earning solicitor - and colleague Douglas Smith took cuts worth millions of pounds from compensation payouts stemming from claims made by sick coal miners.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651