City lawyers match anti-market mood to back bank bailout deal
City partners have shrugged off their free market principles to support the UK Government's historic £400bn bank rescue package that will see the state partially nationalise swathes of the UK financial system. The latest Legal Week Big Question survey found that City lawyers are entirely in tune with the mood of the times - which has seen the UK Government rapidly shift towards policies that would have been unthinkable a few weeks ago - in the wake of prolonged market turmoil.More than a quarter of respondents (27%) said the proposals announced last week to inject up to £50bn of public funds capital directly into banks were 'very much' justified, while a further 50% of respondents viewed such a stance as 'justified'.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651