England's number one
Talented footballers representing England recently emerged victorious in a European football tournament, when the scenes of jubilation pictured above took place.If the news seems unlikely and the picture looks unfamiliar (happy sportsmen waving an England flag - a rare sight indeed), that'll be because the tournament was only open to lawyers and support staff from Bird & Bird's European offices.A total of 140 participants - drawn from offices across nine of the UK-based law firm's European countries of residence - got together to take part in the event in Cambridge.And for the second year running, the trophy was won by England, this year defeating Sweden in the final. However, in a surprise twist, the England reserves (otherwise known as England 'B') beat the England first team in one of the semi-final matches. And to add insult to injury, the winning goal in the semi-final was scored by a Scotsman - marketing executive Peter Hill - striking a blow against all the naysayers who claim that the services of our north-of-the-border cousins will not be required for the proposed 2012 Olympics Great Britain football team.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651