Career Clinic: Surveying the property landscape
"I am a 21-year-old building surveyor, working in Kent and in my penultimate year of a part-time BSc (Hons) Building Surveying. However, I am strongly considering a career change to law, as I do not feel that I will be able reach my full potential, intellectually or financially, within the surveying profession."Although I wish to move into law, I do not want to write off the four years' experience that I have already gained working in construction, and therefore intend to practice within property/construction, if the market recovers to support new blood. "Am I better off completing my degree and going down the graduate diploma route, or should I make a move to a law degree as soon as possible? Will many firms put me through uni while employing me as a trainee/junior, or is that unlikely? Has anyone come from a situation similar to mine and made a successful transition?"
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651