Career Clinic: Making the best of a bad decision
"I am an LPC student and I have a training contract at a magic circle firm. I chose a career in law because I wanted to work in the City, use my brain and earn good money, but most importantly - and the reason I did not choose banking - I wanted to be able to one day leave London to start a family."However, I did not enjoy the GDL and now I am enjoying the LPC even less. I am very concerned, as my experience of law firms seems to suggest to me that they are very tedious places to work, with excessively demanding clients that make a family life impossible. It seems to me that out of all the roles in business, law is the most boring, because you're the man with the rulebook rather than the ideas. My question is: in light of the fact that as I am this far in I am not going to pull out, what is the most transferable training seat that will enable me to eventually leave the law? Or can I look at the situation another way by admitting I do not like the law itself, but apply it in such a way where it has 'meaning' to something I care about, instead of the bottom line of my capitalist 'slave masters', as Giles Coren recently put it."
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651