Time to get ethical
"The UK's legal profession is one of the finest in the world. The expertise, the professionalism, the dedication to delivering justice is unrivalled. But as venerable and well-respected as the legal profession is, we have to accept that the profession cannot be immune to change. The way solicitors and barristers do their job, the manner, the style, the environment has changed significantly over the last decade. And so we have to consider how best we can still give effect to the values which underpin the profession, but in a way which enables it to meet the demands of the markets in which the profession operates."This bold call to arms came from the Right Honourable Jack Straw MP, Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice speaking on legal services reform, diversity and legal aid at the launch of the Law Society's campaign on 'markets, justice and legal ethics' in March this year.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651