Appeal court rejects Milberg class action claim
The 2nd US Circuit Court of Appeals has shot down class action law firm Milberg's bid to boost its lawyer fees from the settlement of shareholder litigation against Nortel Networks, reports The New York Law JournalSouthern District of New York Judge Richard Berman awarded the firm $38m (£20.4m), or around 3% of the settlement funds, in January 2007. In rejecting Milberg's request for 8.5%, or around $101m (£54m), the judge said a 3% award already gave the firm twice what it would have received under an hourly lodestar calculation and that the challenges and complexities of the case were "not significantly different or greater" than others.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651