Ambitious associates are increasingly seeking out direct moves into partnership at a new firm. Sloane Poulton reports on the challenges and potential benefits of such a switch
If partnership is a career goal, then often there comes a time when as a senior associate you need to make a choice. Do you sit and wait for promotion at your current firm or do you consider other opportunities in the market? There are a number of reasons why someone would consider a move at this level and it is not always because there is a bottleneck for promotion. There have been a significant number of individuals that have felt they were very much on track at their previous firm but made an evaluation that a different platform would better serve their practice.
During the last recruitment cycle, law firms have reacted to individuals’ demands for partnership. In the late 1990s, only a handful of firms were willing to offer the immediate partnership badge to laterally-hired associates. These ‘vertical’ moves were quite uncommon and met in the market with a degree of surprise. The assumption seemed to be that the individual in question was a veritable superstar or had attracted a huge following. But over the last five years, vertical promotions into partnership have become relatively common. At the beginning of the last recruitment drive, there appears to have been a general shift in policy and a number of firms have aggressively looked to secure the best available talent by offering the title of partner.
Over my recruitment career I have met with a number of senior associates, almost all of whom were looking to move into immediate partnership. A number of them have successfully moved into new partnership roles and it was interesting to see how they had fared.
Over the last couple of months I have spoken with a number of these individuals to find out:
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651