Technology, media and telecoms: The convergence challenge
In a sector that loves buzz words, acronyms and catchy straplines, it could be easy to get caught up in whichever interpretation of convergence is most prevalent at any given moment. Drop the word into conversation at trendy membership clubs such as Shoreditch House or Century and old media types will nod sagely and acknowledge you as a lawyer plugged into the digital zeitgeist: but what does convergence really mean? Entertainment technology is evolving, whether it is the convergence of digital devices (so your PlayStation 3 is a games console, a BluRay DVD player, a media centre and a browser all in one) or the convergence of media (so you can receive audiovisual transmissions via terrestrial, satellite, cable, the internet or even on your mobile phone via digital audio broadcasting). However, it is the broader convergence of advertising, technology and media that is truly driving change. Lawyers who previously advised clients in a discrete practice area have to adapt quickly and learn new skills in other areas of law. Similarly, legislators and regulatory bodies need to move faster than ever to keep up with an audience and marketplace that is constantly changing the rules.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651