Sonnenschein cuts more than 100 positions
Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal has laid off 37 lawyers, 75 staff members, and 12 non-lawyer timekeepers. Firm chairman Elliott Portnoy said the firm's litigation and real estate departments - the firm's largest practices - were most directly affected."I talked to our people about steps that have been taken by firms that we compete with for clients and talent," Portnoy told US website Above The Law. "Some have done it openly and transparently, and some have not. We were not going to attempt to do this [reduction in force] below the radar. We were going to do this as openly and transparently as we could. We would not attempt to pass this off as performance-based."
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651