In-house Lawyer: The power of one
Step into Trevor Faure's corner office at Tyco International's London base and read the writing on the wall. Quite literally. Half of the wall space in Faure's office and the adjoining conference room is covered with floor-to-ceiling whiteboards. He has plenty of space, therefore, to outline the makeup of Tyco International's 40-strong legal team in Europe or brainstorm the latest management theory to catch his attention (currently, neurolinguistic psychology). But if Faure, Tyco's general counsel for Europe, the Middle East and Africa, were to use his whiteboards to diagram his company's outside counsel relationships, it would be a fairly simple picture. At the beginning of 2007, Faure radically overhauled Tyco's legal function and handed Eversheds the vast majority of the company's external work in Europe. Now, after 18 months and another review, Faure has not only renewed the Eversheds contract but fine-tuned it, building in a new range of targets and incentives aimed at bringing the law firm into tighter alignment with its client's goals. It is not surprising, perhaps, that a lawyer who is interested in theories for better engineering human behaviour would have little patience for the established, cosy law firm/client relationships that have long characterised Europe's legal market.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651