Commentary: S&C in the City - crossing the Rubicon slowly
"They are the super-elite, the brilliant. Forget Skadden, they're in another class, this is the Praetorian Guard. It is a fantastic faith in intellect. They believe that if you get a group of very bright people together in a room, you will get it done." Welcome to Sullivan & Cromwell, a firm that, as can be seen from the above comment from one rival partner, is viewed by some as the US' best all-round corporate law firm. But can it be considered the best in the world? Whatever the deal tables say, and Sullivan recently topped a three-year breakdown of US firms in the European M&A from Mergermarket, doubts remain over how committed this most conservative of Manhattan institutions is to the international market.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651