It's been a mixed week at O'Melveny & Myers. The Los Angeles-based giant recently unveiled (on a gold plaque behind some large velvet curtains) its latest financials, with fees up a fair bit, but profits flatter than a Shrove Tuesday pancake that's only just come unstuck from the kitchen ceiling.O'Melveny chief Arthur Culvahouse blamed the firm's failure to treble the amount of wedge taken home by its partners on "very substantial investments for the future in London, Asia and the US".Sadly, however, that investment doesn't seem to have extended to the plumbing in the firm's City garrison, which last week found itself underwater after a mystery flash-flood.Fortunately, skipper Chris Ashworth didn't go down with the City ship due to being away on holiday when the disaster struck. However, the rest of the partners have been forced to retreat to their humble dwellings, where half-term means they are fairly unlikely to have got much done.With O'Melveny's offices residing on the fourth floor of their hired ivory tower, it's probably best not to think too hard about where exactly the water - which Ashworth's PA, who is still picking up the phone, is brave enough to face - is coming from.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651