Career Clinic: My pay doesn't match the fees I bring in!
I am a five-years' PQE corporate lawyer within a small corporate team at a national firm based in Leeds. I'm more or less given a free rein to get on with fee earning and business development. My BD is going well: 95% of my work-stream flows from regular referrals from self-generated, long-term and portable contacts. For example, in the previous 12 months, I have generated fee income four times my salary and anticipate this rising to five in the next month or so. I should add that the majority of the fee income for the department comes from existing clients rather than referrals.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651