The Bar: Staying apart
Bringing together barristers, solicitors and other lawyers into one single practice is a real possibility in the future. Reactions at the Bar to Sir David Clementi's proposal to permit this new structure have been mixed, however. John McDonnell QC sets out his views on why legal disciplinary practices are contrary to the public interest
Removing the barriers that currently separate barristers and solicitors is possibly the most radical proposal put forward by the Clementi report.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651