Offshore: Made to order
Fulfilment has fast become Jersey's second-largest industry. But, naturally in such a young sector, the supportive legal framework remains problematic. Mark Chambers and Tim Pearce report
As reported in the Jersey Evening Post’s front-page article on 2 February, 2005, Jersey’s fulfilment industry has come under close examination recently. Questions were due to be asked at a House of Commons all-party Treasury Select Committee about what the press described as a ‘VAT dodge’; the UK Government later stated that the industry is “perfectly legal”. This story followed others highlighting the interest big names such as Amazon, Tesco and Boots are showing in this area of the island’s economy.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651