David Hickson is a young lawyer working for a young company. He became head of legal at Lastminute.com two years ago when he was only five-months' qualified - since then the group has moved from a £30m fledgling dotcom, to a half a billion pound Ftse 250 survivor. Here he speaks to Legal Director about his role, how he books his holidays and how he plans to retire in 10 years' time
How did you achieve your current position? An odd, but very lucky series of events. When I was a trainee with Harbottle & Lewis I was seconded to Virgin Atlantic. The head of legal there (Jill Brady) became head of legal at Lastminute.com. When I qualified Jill asked me to join her at Lastminute.com. Five months later Jill moved on and, in a moment of madness, Lastminute.com made me responsible for all legal affairs. I was only five-months’ qualified. That was two years ago and lastminute.com has since moved from a £30m (TTV) company to a £500m (TTV) Ftse 250 company, although I doubt there is any connection.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651