US firms in London: Here today.... and tomorrow
With over 1,200 lawyers now working for US law firms in London, US-based practices represent a credible career alternative for lawyers from a variety of backgrounds, writes Peter Gosden
A decade ago a UK lawyer wanting to work for a US law firm in London really had to be an established corporate or banking lawyer from a magic circle firm, able to hit the ground running in complex international deals. As one by one the Wall Street powerhouses crossed the Atlantic, speculation was rife as to their long-term commitment or viability. Despite this, and trepidation about high billable hours and aggressive hire-fire mentalities, the prospect of huge salaries helped to tempt enough lawyers to leave the relative security of their UK practices.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651