White elephant or cash cow?
The new generation of wireless technologies have been hyped and then written off before they have even been commercially released. Simon Harper looks at the legal implications of 3G and the lessons to be learned from the dotcom debacle
There cannot be many commercial law firms that escaped unscathed from the dotcom downturn. But despite the much publicised crash in the fortunes of technology companies, it is difficult to forget the excitement and opportunities of the early days of e-commerce. I am not sure whether we are yet in a position to feel nostalgic for the heady days of the new economy, but the best of those times meant working with well funded clients, dealing with cutting-edge legal issues, developing business and having an opportunity to break some of the established rules.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651