Hammonds bags top sports practice with Townleys merger
Legal Week reports
Hammond Suddards Edge has taken over niche sports firm Townleys.The four partner firm, which is headed by senior partner Stephen Townley and is based in the City, will merge with Hammonds at the end of the month.The firm’s full compliment of staff, which includes 19 lawyers and around 40 support staff will be joining up with Hammonds existing two-partner, three-assistant practice, headed by partner and Leeds head Mike Henley.“We have been in talks for some time – it is not a knee-jerk reaction,” said senior partner Stephen Townley. “We have been approached by four or five people, but Hammonds was the only one that we took further,” he added.It has not yet been decided who will head up the department. “We haven’t discussed if we will have joint heads, or how it will work,” said Townley.With the acquisition, Hammonds will have a sports law department of six partners and 22 partners. For the time being Townleys will stay in its old offices, which are close to Hammonds’ City premises. However the firm plans to move into Hammonds’ fully in the near future.Townleys is a full service sports law firm. Its clients include the Rugby World Cup, International Tennis Federation, and Royal Ascot.Townley confirmed that, with the merger, the practice was seeking to pick up more overseas work.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651