Monckton elects joint heads as Swift stands down
Legal Week reports
John Swift QC has stepped down as head of Monckton Chambers after two-and-a-half years to be replaced by competition and tax silks Kenneth Parker and Paul Lasok as joint chambers heads.The new joint heads of chambers were elected unanimously by the chambers’ 27 tenants.The pair take over at a sensitive stage for Monckton, which was rocked last year by an abortive attempt to merge with public and commercial law set 4-5 Gray’s Inn Square.Monckton senior clerk Graham Lister told Legal Week: “Lasok and Parker are both highly professional and successful silks, and it was felt it would be difficult to decide between the two of them. Electing them as joint heads seemed to be the best thing for chambers.”Swift, a specialist in EU and UK competition law, returned to the bar as head of Monckton chambers in 1999 after a five-year stint as the UK’s first rail regulator and special adviser to the secretary of state for transport. Swift will remain in practice at Monckton. Lister said the strategy at Monckton, which is best known for its core EU competition practice, was for growth at both the senior and junior ends of the practice.However, he said there was no prospect of the chambers risking another merger.“We have absolutely no intention of merging at this time,” he added.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651