4 Essex Court drafts in top shipping team
Legal Week reports
Leading commercial set 4 Essex Court has boosted its core shipping team with the appointment of five commercial specialists from rival chambers 4 Field Court, including silk Lionel Persey.Persey along with Nigel Meeson, David Goldstone, and Michael Davey join Essex Court’s 17-strong shipping practice, while Guy Blackwood joins the reinsurance group.The five will make the move on the 29 June, just three days after the group finalised its decision to transfer.A spokesman for the group said: “This is a logical move for us. Our practices dovetail perfectly with those of the existing members of 4 Essex Court.”The move is the latest phase in the set’s long-term expansion strategy. Earlier this year former South Eastern circuit judge Harvey Crush joined the set’s aviation team as an arbitrator and mediator.In 1997, Essex Court recruited four aviation practitioners from the now defunct 5 Bell Yard chambers. Two years later it took on two more tenants from New Court Chambers.Earlier this year the set also announced plans to move to larger premises. It has secured the £1m-plus tenancy of a 24,000 square feet five-storey Victorian block at 7-15 Fleet Street and will be moving in early 2003.Four Essex Court senior clerk Gordon Armstrong said the set was looking to expand to the 55 tenants. “You have to have a certain strength for commercial expediency”, he said. “But we don’t intend to grow out of the traditional chambers size. We’re a cohesive unit and we plan to stay that way.”The set is also looking for more tenants in general commercial disputes and insurance.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651