Freshfields boosts US securities team
Legal Director reports
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer has hired a senior lawyer from Goldman Sachs in a bid to boost its City-based US securities practice.Ken Martin, currently head of Goldman Sachs European special execution group, is joining Freshfields in London as a partner, under lead partner Tom Joyce.The appointment of Martin, who joined Goldmans in 1996 from the London office of US firm Shearman & Sterling, brings the number of partners in Freshfields’ Europe-based US securities practice to five.The recruitment of Martin will provide a lift to the magic circle firm’s securities practices, which has this year seen the departure of six lawyers, including partner John Chrisman.“We have been keen to grow the US securities practice in London for some time,” Joyce said, “but finding someone with the right technical skills and European experience has not been easy”.Freshfields’ move comes as the majority of leading City firms are building up US securities teams to cope the growing number of European clients seeking to tap the US capital markets, either through a debt issue or dual listing.Herbert Smith’s hire of Alan Hanen and Jim Wickenden from JP Morgan two years ago is widely credited with winning the firm capital markets instructions from investment banks such as CSFB, Merrill Lynch, Deutsche Bank and Goldmans.Ashurst Morris Crisp has also publicly committed itself to building a securities-focused US capability to service its European client base.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651