DLA boosts banking with NGJ hire
Legal Director reports
National firm DLA has hired Nicholson Graham & Jones (NGJ) real estate partner Mark Phillips as the national giant shakes up its banking team with the integration of its property finance practice.Phillips’ appointment brings DLA’s national banking practice to 17 partners, ten of whom work from the London office. Before joining NGJ, Phillips qualified with Hopgood & Ganim in Brisbane, Australia, moving to the UK in 1989.The appointment comes as DLA is shaking up its banking practice through the integration of its specialist real estate finance group, which is led by partner Marc Smith.The move is evidence of growing demand for property finance advice and the increasing blurring between corporate and tax techniques and traditional property work.DLA national head of banking Michael Collins said: “We discovered we were doing a lot more real estate finance work than we had originally realised because it was broken up into pieces around various departments. We were missing a trick by not showing customers the strength and depth we had.”DLA, whose banking clients include Barclays, RBS and Paribas, has in recent years moved to broaden its banking practice beyond its traditional strength in acquisition finance to create a broad church capability.Collins added that he expected the department to expand further in the future. “We’ve built the business up from £3m-£4m turnover to £12 in the last three or four years. From there we have plans to build up to £17m turnover in the next three years.”
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651