DSK Legal in Andersen link-up
Richard Tromans reports
Indian firm DSK Legal has joined Andersen Legal as a member of its world-wide network as the country moves towards deregulation.Two-partner DSK is one of the first Indian firms to tie so closely with a foreign firm or network and is understood to have taken local legal advice on whether its link-up broke India’s tight bar rules on foreign lawyers.One of the few other local firms to have formal links with a foreign firm is the well-regarded Pathak & Co which is associated with America’s Jones Day Reavis & Pogue Unlike most other Andersen Legal network firms, neither of the DSK partners will be able to join Andersen Worldwide equity pool in which partners such as Tony Williams in London are members.DSK is based in Bombay, the corporate centre of India, with Anand Desai specialising in corporate work and fellow partner Prakash Shah, a specialist in arbitration and indirect tax.The two partners, who have 10 other fee earners at the firm were previously part of a larger Indian firm called SDDP.The move into the Indian market comes as the country begins to face its GATS obligations by 2003 as a member of the World Trade Organisation which stipulate no member country may exclude foreigners from the provision of professional services.Andersen Legal worldwide partner Patrick Bignon said: “As India integrates into the world economy DSK Legal will develop a very strong position in the India market.”
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651