Hammonds regroups in City and Manchester
Legal Week Reports
Hammond Suddards Edge this week moved to regain its national momentum with group head of corporate Richard Burns set to be named the firm’s new City chief, and two partner appointments at the firm’s Manchester office.The position of London managing partner was left vacant last week after Gary Watson announced his resignation to move to City firm Ashurst Morris Crisp’s commercial property department.A replacement will be finalised this week with Burns, fellow corporate partners David Armitage and London corporate head David Baylis being sounded out as likely contenders.Respected pensions head Jane Marshall has also been mentioned as a possible contender. Hammonds’ management is hoping to find a consensus candidate to be finalised this week, though in the event of several serious contenders the decision will go to a full vote.One Hammonds source told Legal Week: “Burns is seen as the clear front runner. There is a question of whether he wants to do it. I believe that he does.”Hammonds senior partner John Heller said: “I am very sorry to see Gary go. We are hoping to have something to announce next week.” The move comes as Hammonds is strengthening its Manchester office with the appointment of Paul Scholefield, currently a partner with Australian firm Deacons, and the appointment of senior Linklaters & Alliance solicitor Susan Kelly as a business restructuring partner.Scholefield, who was a department head at Deacons’ Hong Kong office, will lead Hammonds’ six-lawyer Northwest IP practice when he joins the firm next month.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651