Arnolds: Darth Vader and Black Panthers
Law firm with a strong reputation for diversity and pro bono work
DataArnold & Porter. Lawyers: 540.Number of offices: 5 (London is only foreign office). Managing partner: James Sandman.HistoryThe firm was founded in 1946. It has a long history of antagonising – it has represented an usual mix of clients, from Black Panthers to tobacco giant Philip Morris. The firm has an impressive corporate practice and is also well-known for its pro bono work. Practice areasThe firm has a large corporate practice and has often handled the antitrust concerns related to large mergers. The firm is respected for its bankruptcy practice and has represented Mission Insurance and Guinness. Its product liability practice has been a particularly lucrative area for the firm. Perhaps the area Arnold & Porter is most proud of is its pro bono practice. In 1999 it was named pro bono firm of the year by the District of Columbia Bar.Getting in the firm is fairly selective and puts a premium on top law schools.CultureOne associate said: “Many of the partners are rather eccentric – though brilliant. For example Harry Katz is a Star Wars fanatic who wears Luke Skywalker ties and displays a larger-than-life Darth Vader in his office.” Another associate said: “Everyone likes to think of themselves as ‘anti-big firm people’, which is kind of ironic.” RetentionOne lawyer said: “We are bleeding at the mid-range level like crazy.” Another explained why: “A lot of people come to the firm because of its commitment to public service and they will leave after two or three years to pursue public service.”Partnership track Insiders say that those who stay at the firm have a good chance of making partner.Diversity All told, the firm’s associates give their firm high marks for diversity. One associate said: “They put their money where their mouth is and there is lots of minority recruiting.”
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651