The trail blazers
Every revolution needs its pioneers. Last week Legal Week's sister magazine, Legal IT, identified the firms and individuals that have been leading the way in the IT revolution that has gripped the legal sector. The first Legal IT Awards were handed out during a Highland Ball at the Gleneagles Hotel during the second annual Legal IT Forum. These are the winners:
Best global use of IT:Clifford ChanceIn July 1999 it was announced that Clifford Chance, the UK’s biggest law firm, would merge with US-based Rogers & Wells. That was a major project, but shortly after the initial announcement, both firms announced the inclusion of Puender Volhard Weber & Axster, one of Germany’s largest law firms, thus creating the world’s largest law firm. The new firm consisted of 3,262 lawyers, and 6,500 employees based in 26 offices worldwide.The logistics of bringing together three large IT systems to provide a robust infrastructure capable of supporting the number of users involved represented a huge task in itself, particularly as there were big differences in the infrastructure systems of the firms involved. Due to the project’s timing, the integration task was further complicated by Y2K issues.Apart from technical issues, people-based concerns also represented a major hurdle for the integration team, which had to ensure that it was still business as usual for their fee earners. This project has still to be completed, although the list of ticks in the completed box on the project managers’ planning chart is getting longer.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651