Winning strategies for Bar success
Legal Week Reports
Steps one and twoThere has been plenty of talk but little action about introducing common education for both sides – barristers and solicitors – of the legal profession. Other than a university degree, the only qualification taken by both is the Common Professional Examination (CPE) for those who do not have qualifying law degrees. Details are the same as for solicitors. After that, it is make-your-mind-up time.Total cost so far: University tuition fees plus living expenses can add up to £18,000. The CPE costs of between £2,000 and £4,800 plus living expenses can bring the cost to £10,000, bringing the cost so far to £28,000 for the year.Funding: While there are a number of charities that give small bursaries, the main source of income will be from career development loans from the banks (see box, right), although the banks generally want repayments to start after the Bar Vocational Course (BVC) rather than pupillage. The Bar Council grants nine scholarships per year – interest-free loans of £4,000 – to those in financial hardship. Those headed for the armed services, the Crown Prosecution Service or the government legal service may get sponsorship.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651