Insolvency: Targeting roguish behaviour
A new government pilot scheme aimed at tracking down rogue directors of failed companies promises to hit them hard in the pocket, write Nick Oliver and Frances Coulson
A new pilot scheme to recover money personally from fraudulent and negligent directors of failed companies has been launched by the Official Receiver. The scheme will be run for a trial period in exclusive co-operation with the Forensic Insolvency Recovery Service (Firs), a multi-disciplinary team of insolvency practitioners, solicitors, counsel and enquiry agents.Firs , which will be acting on a no-win, no- fee basis, will select individuals to pursue from cases where the Official Receiver believes legal actions may be possible against directors or other individuals or entities. Many of these will be individuals who have been disqualified as directors under the Company Directors Disqualification Act. Cases will be taken on by Firs via the appointment of licensed insolvency practitioners within Kingston Smith & Partners as liquidators. It will then be the responsibility of the Firs team to get results.Initially the scheme will encompass Insolvency Service Offices in the London, Southeast and Anglia regions. Once a number of cases have been concluded the scheme will be evaluated and, if successful, could be extended nationwide and other licensed insolvency practitioners can be involved.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651