CC's Charlton defects to Freshfields
Clifford Chance (CC) has lost senior asset finance partner Bob Charlton to Freshfields in a move that marks the final nail in the coffin of the no-poaching agreement between the top City firms.Legal Week understands that Charlton had been keen to move to another top City firm after his respected rolling stock and aircraft practice had stalled at CC.Tim Lintott, head of Freshfields’ four-partner asset finance practice, said: “We know him well and have a great respect for him. He will add an extra dimension to an already successful practice.” Lintott said his firm had crossed paths with Charlton on a number of recent transactions. Charlton is not believed to be one of the 10 CC partners who voted against its merger with Rogers & Wells.Tony Williams, CC’s managing partner, said: “I’m sorry he has left us. We wish him well at Freshfields. As far as I know he has left us for entirely personal reasons.”Charlton’s move follows the departure of competition partner Chris Bright from Linklaters to CC in February. Together, their moves herald the end of the unwritten ‘senior partners non-poaching agreement’ between the premier City of London firms.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651