Delights of the roundtable
Richard Levick says partners looking to build an authoritative media profile should seriously consider the idea of getting together a group of in-house experts to discuss a hot topic of relevance to their industry
King Arthur had the royal carpenters construct a round table large enough for all his brethren so that none of the extraordinary knights could sit at the head of the table. This strategy of gathering the finest experts in the field for a discussion of equals still makes great sense today. We call them roundtable interviews, and they are comprised usually of a partner playing host to between four and seven general counsel, or other cheque signers, for a discussion on a hot topic in a specific industry.The interview is reported in a legal or industry trade publication and usually receives front page or centrefold coverage, positioning the partner as a leading authority, and making the strategy one of the finest ways to place a story outside of a flattering profile. Today’s technology also allows the discussion to be broadcast on satellite television directly to lawyers, made available on the Internet, or taped for later use as part of CPD programmes.Roundtables offer an unusual amount of control for a news interview, including the attorney inviting the guests, picking the topic, drafting the questions and steering the discussion. But they offer more than extraordinary press coverage for both the law firm and its clients. They also provide a rich opportunity for meeting with clients and prospects. By adding a lunch, dinner, or cocktail after the event, a roundtable is turned into a business development opportunity. With all of these positive attributes it is a wonder so few law firms engage in the roundtable strategy. This is a guide to how they can.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651