Dealmaker: RPC's Davina Given on Mandarin confusion, hunting ancient ruins and her thirst for knowledge
RPC commercial and financial disputes partner Given on her love of the ancient world and what makes a good litigator
Why did you become a litigator? The intellectual exercise of piecing together what has happened, working out how that fits the legal framework and constructing a case accordingly, appealed to me. I also hugely enjoyed working with Calum Burnett, Andrew Denny, Mark Levy, Guy Henderson (now chief executive at Ascot), Sidney Myers (now at BCLP) and many others in my litigation seat as a trainee at A&O. Flying to Paris to take a note and being taken by a client to lunch at the Paris Polo Club in the Bois de Boulogne in brilliant sunshine didn’t hurt either.
What’s the closest you have come to doing something other than law? I took some time out of law some years ago to explore other careers, from academia (not in law) to arts administration to the UN. The exercise taught me to appreciate everything I did like about law and how in many ways it is a unique working environment.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651