Are US firms winning in London? Separating fact from fiction
There is some truth to the narrative that US firms are succeeding in London, but an analysis of the data suggests only a few are doing well
It is often said that US law firms are winning the war for London, while UK firms are failing in the US. As with most narratives of this kind, there is some truth and quite a bit of fiction to this story.
It is true that a handful of US firms have done well in London. American firms at the higher end of the market, for example, appear to have gained an upper hand against their UK counterparts in terms of profitability and their capacity to attract and retain top talent. It is also true that UK firms have generally struggled to penetrate the US market.
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651