Latham to cut 440 staff; 15 jobs to go in London
Twelve to fifteen jobs are under review in Latham & Watkins' London office as part of a widespread package of cuts announced by the firm today (27 February).Latham confirmed to The Am Law Daily that it is laying off 190 associates, which equates to approximately 12% of the firm's associate base. The firm has also announced cuts of 250 non-legal staff, including paralegals. The announced layoffs are the most dramatic cuts announced so far by a leading US firm.After mounting speculation, firm chairman Robert Dell this morning confirmed that the firm had little choice given the current economic climate. "It is with profound regret that we are taking this action," he said before adding that the depth of this recession was unprecedented. "The health of the global economy is likely to remain poor this year, and so staffing levels have to be better aligned with client needs," he added. Latham's 550-strong partnership will be unaffected by the cuts with Dell adding that "current and future client demand would likely require less leverage."
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651