Insurance & Professional Indemnity: Class of their own
There has been much debate about whether a US-style class action system will ever truly arrive in the UK and across Europe. Opinions in Europe are extremely varied, with some member states actively trying to lay the framework for group litigation. In March 2007 the Commissioner for Consumer Protection, Meglena Kuneva, announced the European Union's (EU's) Consumer Strategy 2007-13. She states: "I do not have in mind the US type of class action. This is not a John Grisham story. We have another, European, narrative and this is much more related to collective redress."
This premium content is reserved for
Legal Week Subscribers.
Subscribe today and get 10% off.
A PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION PROVIDES:
- Trusted insight, news and analysis from the UK and across the globe
- Connections to senior business lawyers within the leading law firms and legal departments
- Unique access to ALM's unrivalled, market-leading reporting in the US and Asia and cutting-edge research, including Legal Week's UK Top 50 and Global 100 rankings
- The Legal Week Daily News Alert, Editor's Highlights, and Breaking News digital newsletters and more, plus a choice of over 70 ALM newsletters
- Optimized access on all of your devices: desktop, tablet and mobile
- Complete access to the site's full archive of more than 56,000 articles
Already have an account? Sign In Now
For enterprise-wide or corporate enquiries, please contact Paul Reeves on Preeves@alm.com or call on +44 (0) 203 875 0651