Linklaters has settled a dispute with its former chief marketing officer, who claimed he had 11 documents that detailed the ”ongoing struggle Linklaters has with women in the workplace.”
The case received attention after the magic circle firm was granted a temporary injunction against Frank Mellish at the beginning of February.
According to a judgment Monday made by Justice Mark Warby, who oversaw proceedings at the High Court, Mellish agreed to not disclose “specified kinds of information” and was told to destroy copies of various confidential documents and “instruct others to whom he had passed any such documents to do the same, then verify that he had done those things.”
Mellish agreed to the terms last Friday, the ruling states. It also says, ”The parties had agreed that there should be no order as to costs.”
“We can confirm that the court has approved an order reached by agreement which, in effect, makes the previous order final and brings these proceedings to an end,” a Linklaters spokesman said. ”We did not take the decision to apply for an injunction lightly. We have a strong, supportive workplace culture and everyone working with us should be able to rely on information shared confidentially with the firm remaining confidential.”
The settlement comes at a time when injunctions and non-disclosure agreements are coming under the spotlight amid a rise in claims of sexual harassment across business and finance.
In June 2018, Mellish was given six months’ notice that his contract would be terminated, and he would be paid his “contractual entitlements” as well as an ex gratia “substantial additional sum,” according to earlier court documents. In a court hearing last week, lawyers for Mellish in Australia said he did not oppose the injunction.