This June, a raft of top international law firms were recognized for their cross-continental prowess at the Transatlantic Legal Awards, jointly hosted by ALM sister titles Legal Week and The American Lawyer.
Twenty awards in total were handed out, with Kirkland & Ellis, which recently overtook Latham & Watkins to become the world’s largest law firm by revenue, named Transatlantic Law Firm of the Year, while Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom co-head of global transactions Scott Simpson was honored with the coveted Transatlantic Law Firm Leader of the Year prize.
The awards recognized firms, lawyers and in-house legal departments for their work spanning the world’s two largest and most fiercely competitive markets. Skadden also took home the awards in the antitrust and tax categories, while Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy also picked up two awards—Transatlantic Finance Team of the Year and Transatlantic Restructuring Team of the Year.
Click on the links below for full coverage of who won what, including insight into the judging panel’s thinking in each category.
- Transatlantic Law Firm of the Year: Kirkland & Ellis
- Transatlantic Independent Law Firm of the Year: Garrigues
- Transatlantic Law Firm Leader of the Year: Scott Simpson—Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom
- Transatlantic Pro Bono & CSR Initiative of the Year: Reed Smith
- Transatlantic Dealmaker of the Year: Carsten Berrar—Sullivan & Cromwell
- Transatlantic Disputes/Regulatory Lawyer of the Year: Juan Morillo—Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan
- Transatlantic Legal Department of the Year: Ortho Clinical Diagnostics
- Transatlantic General Counsel of the Year: Paul Lanois, senior legal counsel, Credit Suisse
- Transatlantic M&A Team of the Year (Large Deals): Niederer Kraft Frey
- Transatlantic M&A Team of the Year (Midmarket Deals): Goodwin Procter
- Transatlantic Private Equity Team of the Year: Kirkland & Ellis
- Transatlantic Capital Markets Team of the Year: Cooley
- Transatlantic Restructuring Team of the Year: Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy
- Transatlantic Dispute Resolution Team of the Year: Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr
- Transatlantic Investigations Team of the Year: Norton Rose Fulbright
- Transatlantic Tax Team of the Year: Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom
- Transatlantic IP Team of the Year: Paul Hastings
- Transatlantic Private Client Team of the Year: Withers
- Transatlantic Antitrust Team of the Year: Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom
- Transatlantic Finance Team of the Year: Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy