International law firm Spencer West hopes to disrupt the African legal market with the offer of a 70%-30% fee split that targets top lawyers it considers “stuck” in the traditional equity model.

Managing partner Antoine West said the remuneration approach allows African partners to retain 70% of their billed client work with the remaining 30% going to Spencer West. The model has been successful in more than 14 locations where the firm has offices including Switzerland, Spain, Belgium and Pakistan, he added: “So, it didn’t come as a surprise that we received a very favourable response in Kenya.”