Amazon GC's 2020 Pay Exceeded $17M as More General Counsel Are Highly Compensated
“General counsel compensation has evolved with the way compensation is viewed at the C-suite level. There is a greater emphasis towards equity and a greater emphasis on company performance," says Duane Morris partner John Nixon, who helps negotiate GC compensation.
2020 was a good year financially for Amazon’s top lawyer, David Zapolsky.
According to a Thursday filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Zapolsky, based in the company’s Seattle headquarters, took in $17,174,185 in total compensation in 2020. The figure represents his $160,000 annual salary, over $17 million in stock awards, and $3,200 in other compensation. It is not clear how his 2020 earnings match up with what he made in 2019, because 2020 was the first year he was a named executive officer.
This premium content is reserved for
Law.com International Subscribers.
BENEFITS OF A SUBSCRIPTION INCLUDE:
- Customized news by region including UK, Asia, Europe, Latin America, Middle East, Africa, and North America
- Cutting-edge research such as UK Top 100, China 45, and Asia 50
- Get the inside track on the biggest breaking stories that delve deep into the issues behind the headlines
- Comprehensive coverage of the dynamic legal market from people moves to the major international jurisdictions
- Global view into how legal tech, business of law, in-house and regulatory environments are intersecting worldwide
Already a subscriber? Sign In Now