Sixteen Georgia Court of Appeals hopefuls will be interviewed by Governor Nathan Deal’s Judicial Nominating Commission on Dec. 12.
A JNC subcommittee of co-chairman Randy Evans, DeKalb County District Attorney Robert James and Augusta District Attorney Ashley Wright on Friday pared the list of 33 candidates to 16. The JNC originally received 75 nominations for the seat that will be vacated in January by Judge A. Harris Adams, but 42 withdrew from consideration or did not submit applications to the JNC by its Nov. 19 deadline.
On the JNC’s interview list are:
• Mary Paige Adams, Green & Sapp litigator and member of the JNC;
• Jacqueline Bunn, lawyer with the Georgia Department of Public Safety;
• J. Antonio DelCampo, plaintiff’s attorney with Harris Penn Lowry DelCampo and a former DeKalb County State Court judge;
• Don P. Geary, DeKalb County chief assistant district attorney;
• Stephen Goss, Doughtery County Superior Court judge;
• Jason T. Harper, Henry County State Court judge;
• Thomas D. Harper, solo practitioner and mediator;
• Leslie Klemperer, former lawyer at Delta Air Lines who is chair of the board of directors of the Georgia Justice Project;
• Hugh Jeff Lanier, government attorney in Lawrenceville;
• Willie J. Lovett Jr., director of the Fulton County Office of the Child Attorney;
• D. Todd Markle, judge on Fulton County Superior Court, appointed by Deal, and former top lawyer to Deal;
• Carla Wong McMillian, Fayette County State Court judge;
• Larry B. Mims, Tift County State Court judge;
• Kenneth L. Shigley, State Bar of Georgia past president and trial lawyer at Chambers, Aholt & Rickard;
• Kathryn Tanksley, Cobb County State Court judge;
•Charles S. Wynne, Hall County State Court judge.
The appellate appointment will be Deal’s fifth since he took office in January 2011.
Three of the candidates have been on the short list for other appellate seats that Deal filled: Adams (who is not related to A. Harris Adams), Geary and Shigley.
Henry County State Court Chief Judge Benjamin Studdard III, who has made JNC short lists for other vacancies, was not on the new list. He said he withdrew his application.